Navigating the Holidays
Do you feel like holidays are made just to sabotage your progress?
Some of the biggest setbacks can stem from holiday celebrations or a social gathering. As humans, we need this social interaction. So how can you enjoy a holiday and achieve health goals? Here are some tips to help you this upcoming holiday weekend and celebrations to come!
Top Four Holiday Tips
- Don’t treat the holiday like a cheat day. Eat normally earlier in the day and don’t “save calories” This sets you up emotionally and physically to overeat. Enjoy a protein rich breakfast to keep you satiated. If the celebration is in the evening, have a fiber and protein rich lunch and even a small snack in the afternoon.
- Focus on protein and fiber while you’re out. If you can’t control the menu do your best to scan the food and reach for something with protein and fiber. Typically a piece of grilled meat and some sort of vegetable or fruit dish. Pairing protein with fiber can help you feel full and cut down of portions of sugar or carb dense foods.
- Eat carbs last. If you’re tempted by a pasta salad or chips opt to eat this item last. Eating a carb last on the plate will improve your blood sugar response and overall health with weight management.
- This isn’t about binging and restricting. If you want a little dessert that’s okay. Get a small cocktail cup or appetizer plate. Grab 1/2 of the normal portion and savor the flavors. Then move on – don’t get mad that you ate it and refrain from getting seconds. Know that you’ve given your body the nourishment it needs at the main meal and you’ve enjoyed a holiday treat!
To celebrate the holiday and your health journey, try incorporating this spritzer at the next gathering!
Holiday Spritzer (Serves: 4)
- 4 cups hibiscus tea, iced
- 2 cups sparkling water
- 1 lemon, juiced
- Mix the ingredients together and serve in four glasses over ice.