Women’s Health and Vitamin B Deficiency
Something I often see with my female clients is a B vitamin deficiency.
Stress, diet, medication, birth control use and over exercise can cause a depletion of these vitamins. As females, this imbalance can cause major disruption to our everyday lives.
More specifically: anxiety, hormonal imbalance, depression, exhaustion and fatigue. These are all major symptoms of a B vitamin deficiency.
So, if you’re thinking you might be dealing with one or all of the above…. take a look below. You can overcome this.
Let’s first break down what B vitamins are and how they support our body.
The 8 B-Vitamins
B vitamins are vital for proper bodily functions.
B vitamins are typically known for assisting in mood elevation and energy production, but those benefits are only the tip of the iceberg for these guys.
They help carry out functions in our neurological, endocrinological, metabolic and musculoskeletal systems. B vitamins also play a major role in detoxification.
It’s extremely important as females that we are detoxing regularly and efficiently. Excess hormones are broken down, reused or recycled during detoxification. Any sort of hiccup in detoxification can also contribute to hormonal imbalance.
The Essential B Vitamins
- B1 – thiamin: supports energy production
- B2 – riboflavin: supports elimination of toxins and thyroid function
- B3 – niacin: supports serotonin levels, has antidepressant effect
- B5 -pantothenic: supports adrenals in coping with extreme stress
- B6 – pyridoxine: supports detoxifying hormones and reduces the risk of hormone related cancers
- B7 – biotin: creates important enzymes that strengthen hair, skin, and nails
- B9 – folate: mood elevating, lowers blood pressure, prevents neural defects
- B12 – cobalamin: detoxes heavy metals
B Vitamin Supplementation
B vitamin supplementation (with support of a health care provider) may be right for you if you experience anything on the list below.
- If you suffer from chronic stress
- PMS or menopausal anxiety
- Use birth control (rapidly depletes B2,B6, B9, B12 + Vitamin C, Magnesium & Zinc)
- Metformin use
- Lack animal protein in your diet
B Vitamin Rich Foods
Try adding in b vitamin rich foods to your diet as well.
- Pasture Raised Eggs
- Wild Caught Salmon
- Grass-fed Red Meat
- Pasture Raised and Organic Chicken
- Organic Leafy Greens
- Sunflower Seeds
Manage that Stress Woman!
Stress is impossible to avoid, but I like to say to my clients… we can respond to life as opposed to react. When we react, our bodies feel the stress. Responding to stress allows us to be an observer, work through it and move forward. Don’t let the emotional stress of life beat your body down.
Now, take a few deep breaths and then you can be on your way and continue your healing journey!
If you need addition support, please schedule a complimentary call with me. We can uncover if nutrient deficiencies are holding you back in your health goals!